Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Giving back

In the spirit of giving and as prompted by the kid, I just wanted to post some organizations that I feel do a lot of good in this world. My family has seen incredible blessings, and it only feels right that we should spread the joy.

I love the philosophy behind the Seva Foundation. This rings so true to me, "...compassion is not just about helping those less fortunate than ourselves, it's about the realization that we are all connected as one human family." I love that they have programs centered around sustainability. Not just helping others, but helping others help themselves. One programs that is close to my heart is Healthy Mothers and Babies. Gifts donated in this program go to helping mothers and babies stay safe and healthy by supporting midwifery care in Mayan communities.

Another neat charitable organization is DonorsChoose.org With this organization, you browse through teacher-submitted project proposals for materials or experiences their students need to learn. I love the creativity and passion that these teachers bring to the classroom. And all they need are funds to put their ideas to work...to help students broaden their thinking and experience new things. It's a totally cool idea.

For those of you close to the OC, I'm sure you've heard about Casa. This organization trains community volunteers and to serve as powerful mentors and advocates for Orange County's most severely abused, abandoned and neglected children. It's amazing what a difference one person can make in someone's life. Whenever I read this statistic on their webpage, "On any given day in Orange County, there are nearly 3,000 children who have been removed from their parents' care and placed in out-of-home care due to abuse or neglect.", my heart weeps. These are CHILDREN. These are GOD's GIFTS. But the people at Casa are trying to make sense out of a senseless world.

And one more, a tried and true organization, the American Red Cross. A few months ago, wildfires ravaged much of Southern California. Thousands were left without homes as they watched them burn to the ground. Many lost everything. The American Red Cross worked so quickly and diligently to set up temporary housing for victims and evacuees. It was a huge job, but they were ready for the task. They are a huge organization and have been around forever...and they continue to get it right.

I hope that this Holiday Season finds you and yours with blessings beyond your dreams.

No comments: