Saturday, December 1, 2007

And the Holidays roll on...

Today the kid and I decorated our Christmas tree.  This is the first year that the kid is actually old enough to "get" Christmas, so it was kind of exciting.  A lot of fun, too.  We have an artificial tree that's pre-lit, so all we had to do was put on the ornaments.  Little did I know that this process was going to take 3 times as long as it had in the past.  Only because the kid had to inspect and ask questions about EVERY ornament.

The absolute best moment, though, was when I first opened our ornament box.  As a kid, my mother-in-law had those Hallmark collector's series ornaments for M.  His ornament series are these adorable pressed tin trains.  They really are cute and each one is dated, so we've got the whole set back to 1982 or so.  They are also in immaculate condition because M was meticulous about his stuff when he was a kid.  Too bad that didn't pass on to our kid.  Anyway, I pulled out our ornament box, lifted the lid and the kid sees the set of trains (he LOVES trains.)  He gasps loudly and proclaims in the most dramatic tone, "Oh THANK YOU mommy!"  Then he starts pulling out the trains and heads over to his train table to run them through tunnels and over bridges.  It's really cute that he loves them as much as M loves them.  Although I worry, though, because these trains have survived 25 or so years in perfect condition and they could easily be destroyed in 10 minutes by the kid.

Another cute moment happened when we were hanging our photo ornaments.  I've got those little, dated silver-plated frame ornaments from Pottery Barn.  The basically have a Christmas photo in them for every year of our marriage.  Well, the first one I pull out is from 2005, the kid's first Christmas.  As I show it to the kid, he grabs it and points to everyone in the picture, naming each person.  Then comes the one from last year and he does the same.  He points to each person and says, "Mommy, Daddy, and (the kid)."  Then he comes to an ornament from 2003 and of course, it's just got a picture of M and me.  So the kid looks at it quizzically and says, "Mommy, Daddy...HEY!  Where did (the kid) go?"  I looked at him and told him point blank that Mommy and Daddy existed before he did.  And that made him mad.  Seriously.  About 5 minutes later he was still carrying that frame in his hand.  He shoved it in my face, pointed at the frame and DEMANDED to know where (the kid) was.  Dude, how else do I explain it?  LOL!  The kid expects that the world revolves around him and therefore, nothing existed before him.  Do I have a handful on my hands or what?

So...Holiday cheer continues tomorrow!  M has the day off and is putting up the outdoor lights while the kid and I put together our Gingerbread House.  Wish us luck. 

No comments: