I'm excited. We are living in an amazing and exiting time. For the first time in the history of the United States of America, there will be either a woman or a black man in a VERY good position to become the next President. Either a woman or a black man will be the democratic party's nomination for President of the United States of America. I honestly never thought I would see this in my lifetime. Years ago, even before I had children, I had hoped that my children would see it happen in their lifetime, but I wasn't too optimistic. Call me cynical.
But it's happening, it's really happening. And I feel proud. Not because of any of my own efforts, I'm not necessarily proud of me, but I'm proud of this country. I'm proud that there are enough Americans out there who can plow through all the bull$hit that's out there and stand up for what they believe in - stand up for change and have their voices heard. I'm proud that I can tell and give real-life examples to the kid that tell him, when it comes down to it, that while gender and race may make it harder/easier to achieve whatever your goals may be, they certainly don't automatically qualify/disqualify you from them. That's seriously cool.
I actually voted in California's early voting two weeks ago. They had polling places set up around the county and they were open for about a week. Conveniently, they set one up right at the University where I work. Thank goodness because the last time I tried to vote with a toddler in tow...well, let's just say I didn't (not that I didn't do vote, I just drove back and forth to my polling place/daycare so that I could vote without a 2 year old pulling on my legs and trying to press all the buttons himself.)
So I placed my vote for my man Barack. LOVE me some Barack Obama. Would LOVE this country to have a President Obama. Now, truth be told, I did feel a twinge of guilt about not voting for a woman. I almost felt like I'd betrayed my ideals as a feminist. But at the heart of feminism is freedom and equality, right? The freedom to make those choices regardless of your gender? Well, then, my choice was for Obama. Of course, I will still be elated should Hilary win the nomination, they are, in my opinion, close in position on many of the issues most important to me. Should Hilary win the nomination my complete rally of support will definitely go to her. But there is just something about the way Barack speaks. He's got a way about him...a way to move people...a way that Hilary just doesn't have. I actually find Hilary to be more divisive than Barack. So my rally cry is Obama '08. Spread the word, friends. It's supa tuesday.
1 comment:
I'm an Obama Mama too! LOVE that man!!! Dying laughing over the Cheerio in your belly button!!! LOL! Love it! I know I've been tagged... still trying to figure out what the heck my quirks are!! :)
Post a Comment