Sunday, February 10, 2008

The avalanche

Oh my god, my kid has a lot of clothes. Seriously. It's a lot. His closet is pretty big...takes up a whole wall of his bedroom...and it's full. Now, in my defense, he wears a ton of it. All of it, as a matter of fact. While some of that is due to my laundry aversion (I figure if he has at least 14-20 outfits I can go 2 weeks without doing laundry) some of is due to the fact that the kid wears through clothing like nobody's business. He goes to daycare where a few times a week he comes home in a different outfit than what I sent him in. Right now, in our Southern California "winter" I'm layering him, which means he's wearing twice the amount of clothing at the beginning of the day than he would at mid-day. Also, the kid REFUSES to wear a blanket at night. I mean he HATES any type of covering while sleeping. He's been like that since day one. So, when the temperature drops in the middle of the night and mommy and daddy are under a down comforter, all I can do for the kid is dress him in 2-3 layers of PJ's. Let's take a minute to do the math. For the sake of argument, 2 layers of PJ's per night...he gets fresh PJ's every night (which is more than I can say for mommy)...figure in my hatred of laundry...well, really, we need to stock about 20 pairs of PJ's this time of year. No wonder I have to shove things into the closet.

But, truth be told, a LOT of it is because there is a crapload of REALLY STINKIN CUTE stuff out there for kids. And seeing the kid in an adorable outfit makes me SO happy. Like REALLY happy. It's my crack, the children's clothing. I'm sure you've noticed in the sidebar linky's to my favorite sites. Notice how one of the links is a clothing shop link? I seriously LOVE mini-Boden stuff for kids. You can't find stuff like this everywhere. It totally suits the skater/thrasher look that has become the kid's signature style (Don't worry, I see you all out there in cyberspace rolling your eyes at the notion that my kid has a "signature style" at age 2. Don't think that I myself don't think I'm crazy at times.) But the cute factor is SO high. Check out these adorable outfits for spring. Please ignore the raised arms. For some odd reason, when I ask the kid to smile for the camera, he raises his arms. I don't ask questions.:





Lest you think that I spend this much money on the kids' entire closet, let me tell you, I'm in love Old Navy for the kid as well. Right now, they are having their baby and kids sale - everything is 40% off! I cannot stand the cuteness of these patchwork shorts...mostly because they have matching daddy shorts (thanks Mama for tipping me off to them)! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I will have the cutest family EVER! By the way, they are simply adorable with these polos.

Wow, this post was pretty shallow. Whatever. Like I said, it's my crack. Other stores that feed the addiction: Hanna Andersson (especially for infant clothing - swoon!), Lucky Brand Kids, Tea Collection- let me tell you, baby #2 will be decked out in their daily tea line, Naartjie - love their summer stuff for daycare. and occasionally Gymboree and Janie and Jack, although I truly believe that the Gymboree corporation is run by Columbian drug lords. That company knows how to suck you in no matter how many times you've sworn them off. See how much time I spend on this? But the first step is admitting to yourself that you have a problem. For what it's worth, I know I crazy. Now, what's that next step again?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures and I'm cracking up at the raised arms! Too funny : ) And at least you know you're not alone in your addiction to cute kids clothing!